PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Opinions on GFI LANguard

From: j2mccluggage at adelphia.net (Jody & Jennifer McCluggage)
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 23:32:18 -0400

Hello Adrian,

We use Languard NSS.  Although I think it is a very good tool it does have a
tendency to return some false positives - like many tools - (particularly
around open ports)  and seems a tad bit sensitive on reporting vulnerability
level (if you did not know what you where doing you may think your machine
is highly vulnerable when it may not be).  I too have seen it report some
open ports that were not really open and report ports that belonged to
legitimate services as possibly being a Trojan.

Again, I think it is a very good tool (it can also assist in patch
management and network and software auditing) as long as you follow-up on
its reporting.  This is just another example of why you cannot rely on tools
alone to secure your network.

Jody

  _____