PaulDotCom mailing list archives

SC Reader on Dell

From: pauldotcom at grymoire.com (Grymoire)
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:02:00 -0400

Anybody can shed some light on what I could use the SmardCard reader

in 2004 I was using the IBM JCOP plugin into Eclipse, with a
JavaCard. I installed the MUSCLE software onto the card. (MUSCLE =
Movement to Use Smart Cards in Linux Environment)

I used the PAM plug-in on Linux. When I did a ssh to a remote machine,
the remote server would send up a challenge to the local machine with
the card, which then send the challenge to the card. The card
encrypted the challenge with the private key storeed on the card, and
passed it back to the server, which then authenticated the user
automatically.

This allowed logging in without passwords on the remote machine.

The problem is

                This was 5 years ago

                The free JCOP software from IBM could only be enabled if you purchased
                a JCOP sample card for $60.

                The JCOP sample cards can no longer be purchased.

                The version of Eclipse is obsolete.

                The JCOP plugin is no longer available or supported

                IBM sold the technology of this open source platform to a
                smartcard vendor, which then proceeded to place it into a
                black hole.

It was cool technology while it lasted, but smartcard vendors really
do not like open software.

I suppose you can use the Sun Javacard software. The
http://musclecard.com site might have some notes on this. I really
liked the Eclipse environment.

Looking at the musclecard site does not seem promising. The mailing
list archives are not available, links are broken, etc.

But I have not followed this for 4 years. Perhaps there are new options.