PaulDotCom mailing list archives

HIPAA Remote Site Connection Question

From: travelingregbaker at yahoo.com (Gregory Baker)
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 09:05:41 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings,

We've consulted with DMERC software vendors from time to time regarding HIPPA compliance. There are many small medical
billing operations across the country and several software companies provide solutions for these folks to help them
through the web of disparent formats and regulations.

For software vendors and connectivity providers HIPPA essentially boils down to maintaining a chain of custody and the
protection of the digital assets.

As the connectivity provider, your part is somewhat easy compared to the software vendors. An AES VPN tunnel would be
your part along with the possible full control of both end point connections (managed WAN firewall/routers). Yes, it is
technically not an explicit HIPPA requirement but strongly advised.

That stated, the laws of physics come into play when using VPN tunnels with satellite connectivity. It's been our
experience that the inherit latency results in increased cpu load on the VPN end point devices. We've needed to deploy
beefy routers in such situations in order to keep the cpu loads reasonable. If their budget can allow, hardware based
WAN optimization (Riverbed) is ideal in such situations and can significantly overcome increase the performance across
the connection.

$.02 Deposited