PaulDotCom mailing list archives

home firewall/server

From: mike.patterson at unb.ca (Mike Patterson)
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 07:27:13 -0400

Bert Van Kets wrote on 7/8/09 5:02 AM:
The main question is: Can I use the one machine as a firewall, using
multiple network cards on different subnets, and at the same time run
Squid, SMTP, DNS, DHCPD, CUPS, etc.. on it?
What is the take of the experts on a situation like this? Keep in mind
this is a home situation with a limited budget.

Sure, I used to do the same thing til I went the opposite route, now I
run most everything I need off a WRT54GL with OpenWRT.  I had a PC
running FreeBSD doing all of those things, but you could run linux or
whatever else you prefer instead.

General advice: where possible, configure apps to bind only to your
internal interface, firewall them anyway, and keep an eye on your logs.

Mike

--
Stressful? Do you know a lot of jobs where everytime you make a
mistake, a red light goes off over your head and 15,000 people