PaulDotCom mailing list archives

WD Passport Essential encryption in Linux

From: arch3angel at gmail.com (Robert Miller)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:47:34 -0500

Robin,

I have not seen any sort of hardware encryption on this drive or my
previous 120GB version of the same drive.  I even took the entire 120GB
drive apart to "see" what made it tick and nothing.  It was nothing more
than a SATA laptop drive with a very basic SATA to USB 2.0 converter
board.  I have never used their provided software nor have I run it
since it is Windows based, so this software may magically turn the
switch to the on position of this converter board and provide hardware
level encryption but I doubt it.

As far as price I got lucky in that I hit a sale on newegg.com for the
400GB one for something like $69 USD with free shipping.

This issue with Linux support did concern me and was the main factor for
me going to Truecrypt since it is cross platform.

- Robert
(arch3angel)