PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Tools for password analysis

From: cmilte at gmail.com (Chris Miltenberger)
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 12:18:47 -0600

2. A custom password filter can be written that works in conjunction with,
or as a replacement for, the password complexity GPO as well as some of the
other password policy settings. The password filter we use requires a
minimum password length of 8 characters consisting of at least one character
from 3 of 4 categories (uppercase letter, lowercase letter, number, special
character). Due to an enterprise application we run the special characters
we can use are limited, so the filter is set up to reject passwords with
unusable characters. We also reject passwords that contain 3 or more
consecutive letters in the user's UserID or display name.

When we moved to our current password policy our Help Desk was deluged with
calls by users that couldn't come up with suitable passwords. Eventually the
word spread that passwords like MascotMMYY (where MM is the numeric value of
the month and YY is the last two digits in the year) meet the password
policy. On the first of the month they only needed to change two characters
in the current password (the numeric value of the month) to get another
password that meets policy. Yes, we absolutely have users with passwords
like this. These passwords are extremely weak, but they meet policy.
Something that checks for password strength (like you see on some e-commerce
sites when you create an account and a meter shows the strength of the
password you're trying to use) needs to be added into Windows/AD security so
a password like Lions1109 would be automatically rejected for a lack of
complexity.

Chris