PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Power and the Olympics in 2012

From: monkeywebdaemon at googlemail.com (Monkey Daemon)
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 12:27:08 +0100

Hi all,

Here in the UK we've got the olympics coming up in the next three
years.  I don't care about the sport (except maybe the beach
volleyball :P) but I am concerned about the power draw on London's
grid, especially as some (most) of the major datacentres in the UK
have Line of Sight to most of the major olympic venues.

Having read recently about grid-outage cascade effects that could be
triggered by small failures, does anyone know if an outage at an
olympic venue would be enough to trigger a grid failure? or am I just
being paranoid?

MWD