PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Malware / hack lab?

From: pj_mcgarvey at hotmail.com (PJ McGarvey)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:07:27 -0400

I picked up a newish HP Pavilion laptop, dual core, 4GB ram, Gigabit NIC, esata/firewire ports, but no hdd or ac
adapter from Ebay a few months back for $100 because the screen was broken.  This is currently a TVersity media server
on my network, but I'm working on getting ESX 3.5 on it so I can run some virtual machines (there were issues with ESX
detecting the nic...)

Not an ideal box for this purpose, but I picked it so it can fit on a shelf in my relatively small home office... it's
quiet, not power hungry and the price was right!

Also... SANS is offering a free Lenovo laptop if you take their OnDemand training by 4/15, I'm signing up soon for the
Web App course, might be a good excuse to take some training and get a free laptop for your lab.

-PJ