PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Kingston DataTraveler Secure Privacy vulnerability

From: johan at johans.dk (Johan Peder Møller)
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 14:05:40 +0100

Hi all

As I read it the password is checked using a algorithm that involves the 32
Byte block. The result of this operation must be a certain value also 32
byte long and this value is constant even if the password is changed. So by
patching the software (or running it in a debugger) it is possible to make
sure that the check is always succesful. This means that the password is
always correct and you can then gain access to the data via normal
operation.

So the weakness resides in the way the password is checked.

rgds
Johan M?ller