PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Mailing List question

From: byte.bucket at 4a44.com (byte.bucket at 4a44.com)
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 20:11:28 -0500

Good Morning All,

I noticed today that messages that were sent to the list on Friday didn't
show up until Saturday. I'm not much of a list user, is that normal or was
there a tech glitch?

Scott Webster

This question came up a few times during the holidays and again today.  I
usually respond directly to the person inquiring but since this seems to
be a recurring theme, I figured I would let this one through and respond
publicly.

The PaulDotCom Security Weekly Mailing list is a "moderated" list.  This
means that each new email goes directly into a moderator queue for
approval before it gets sent to all subscribers.  During the week, the
moderator queue is checked frequently.  On weekends and holidays, the
queue is checked less frequently but still on a fairly regular basis.
This is likely the reason for any "delays".  As for messages arriving in
batches, when we have a "hot topic" (like some of IronGeek's recent
posts), we tend to receive lots of messages at the same time.  These
messages get approved en masse when the moderator queue is checked and as
a result will tend to hit your inbox "in batches".

If you have any questions or comments about this process, please feel free
to contact me (or any of the other Pauldotcom members) "off list".

--
byte_bucket