PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Archiving History files

From: tkrabec at gmail.com (Tim Krabec)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 10:48:35 -0500

run a key logger

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Nick Baronian <nbaronian at gmail.com> wrote:

There are probably a ton of different ways to do this but if the user
is deleting the history file you could probably just create a hardlink
to the user's .bash_history for a one time catch.  The hard link will
be broken after the file is deleted and if the user is erasing the
data in the file the hard link will do you little good.
ln /home/user/.bash_history /root/userhistory
A better solution might be to try playing with the HISTFILE setting.
I haven't tried it but you may be able to specify more than one file
or you could just change the user's history to another spot.
You may also want to verify the histappend is set.

Nick
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 5:50 AM, Monkey Daemon