PaulDotCom mailing list archives

SSL VPN attacks?

From: Russell.Butturini at Healthways.com (Butturini, Russell)
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 07:48:16 -0600

I have tested SSLStrip against ASA 5520s and 40s running version 8.0(2) and 8.0(4) of the code releases, and while it
worked against the authentication page, the AnyConnect client bugged out and crashed when I started actively sending
traffic across the established tunnel.

I think speed, cost and management is what drives people away from the IPSec VPN.  Not to mention that it is a bit more
secure (It's not terribly hard to recover the group password in about 3 seconds from an Cisco VPN client profile file).
 The SSL VPN client is WAAYYYY faster than the IPSec client and much more stable, plus you don't have to wrap its ugly
drivers around your NIC.  However, the biggest concern I would have is depending on how many SSL clients you are moving
towards is that I have seen the ASAs start to really bog down with a large number of SSL VPN clients unless they have
the crypto accelerator modules installed in them.  Management is a lot easier too with no software installation or
configuration of the client profile.

Mick, There are also some other rumors around the AnyConnect client I can discuss off list.