PaulDotCom mailing list archives

What sites do you check on a daily basis?

From: only.samurai at gmail.com (Andrew Ellis)
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 13:56:20 -0600

I actually don't do a whole lot of visiting sites/rss or even finding
them myself. Instead, I use GoogleAlerts and set up a few different
searches, grouping similar terms together. Setting this to update me
as-it-happens gives me a real-time feed that's as comprehensive as
Google. If you aren't looking for quite so real-time emails, you can
ask GoogleAlerts to deliver to you daily or week, I believe. Mixing
GoogleAlerts with the way Gmail groups messages gets you some nicely
organized bulk emails with all the stuff Google finds.

This does give me A LOT of email and a good number of the results are
re-posts, false positives, and such so I do end up doing a lot of
skimming. I like to think the work I do sorting through the junk is
equivalent the time I'd spend searching for stuff and it's much less
tedious, IMO. It's nice because you get things quickly and you can
also get a pretty good idea of what's being talked about on a topic,
from what get's re-posted.

~andrew