PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Multiple Anti-Virus Programs

From: mailing at vankets.com (Bert Van Kets)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:10:23 +0100

Multiple anti virus applications on the same machine causes them to
monitor each other's activity. This is the main cause for slow downs and
lock ups.
Having security in depth is a better option.
- Have only one person responsible for the system. He's the only one
having admin privileges
- Install only one AV application (personally I prefer AVG Free or
Kapersky - for the ones wanting to spend money)
- Use virtual machines or Linux when ever possible.
- Install automatic backup systems
- Create a disk image of a clean, known good system. This allows you to
get back to a running status quickly in case you do get infected.

I have been using these rules within my family and it has worked fine
for several years now.

HTH.

Bert

Shawn McGovern wrote:
Do security holes (or any issues) form if you use multiple anti-virus
programs?  I have to share a computer with another person and have no
control over what he/she does, so im looking to be as safe as I
possibly can.

Thank!