PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Dodge Mobile Wifi - uConnect

From: arch3angel at gmail.com (Robert Miller)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 17:51:08 -0400

Hey Everyone,

I am not sure if this has been said yet but Dodge' uConnect and Volvo
are allowing customers to purchase an option for built in wireless via
3G.  Hmmmm Let's think about this, a vehicle that acts like a wireless
access point driving down the road...  I don't see any problems with
this :-)  I mean it will be secured by default right, the passwords will
be secured and all different when you buy it right :-)

Not taking to account the fact that now people will not only have
unsecured access points at home now they will driving around with
passengers surfing the web, maybe parking at a store lot while Joe (Bob
didn't do it) accesses these care.  If this is controlled by say a
central touch screen that controls the radio and environmental
conditions like air conditioning, this leads to access of the vehicles
system, or as Volvo has a 500GB media center...  May be some malicious
code dropped into the central controller...  What about the fact these
vehicles creating tons of RFI noise?

Is it just me or is this one of the dumbest things the car manufactures
have done in a long time, did they even think before doing it?

Has anyone else heard or worked with these options, if so what is the
defaults the uneducated driver may fall victim to?

- Robert
(arch3angel)