PaulDotCom mailing list archives

IT Security Policy

From: dgcombs at gmail.com (Dan McGinn-Combs)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:06:39 -0400

Well, the policy statements that are out there, SANS and elsewhere are
guides only. You should really think through a few things before writing a
policy.

1) What are your biggest risks to the business?
2) How can you address those risks?
3) What is the balance with business operations you need?
4) How are you going to measure policy compliance?
5) Do procedures need to change to ensure compliance?

... and so on.

Once you have some of these items down, you can come up with a security plan
(i.e. a broad plan of how to address the issues). Taken together, these can
help you format your policy. Hopefully you'll get total buy-in from the
company owner/management.

I don't think it's wise to write a policy in a vacuum or write a policy that
includes stuff you can't do (because the business won't support it) or can't
enforce and measure.

Dan