PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Use of EICAR AV test string in signatures

From: wesley at mcgrewsecurity.com (Robert Wesley McGrew)
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 08:01:21 -0500

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Rob Fuller <jd.mubix at gmail.com> wrote:
Experiment?over. thanks, and sorry for the?inconvenience. If, as you say,
you combed your spam and found the email, you should have known who to talk
to. But I understand the detriment to the list, as there might be others
also missing out.
Oh, and that AV you are using, technically shouldn't be finding EICAR in
non-binary form, if I remember the purpose of it. I could be wrong.

All of the (68) bytes in eicar.com are printable ASCII, so it would be
difficult for AV to tell, without opening up the possibility of false
negatives.

--
Wesley McGrew
http://mcgrewsecurity.com