PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Embedded Malware

From: Michael Salmon <lonestarr13 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:15:03 -0500

Here is an interesting slide show that discusses the topic.
http://www.slideshare.net/yampolskiy/malware-goes-to-the-movies-5921391

<http://www.slideshare.net/yampolskiy/malware-goes-to-the-movies-5921391>Mostly
the damage discussed seems to be caused by the media player
pulling malicious code that Windows Media Player thinks are codecs or DRM.
 This is kind of an old exploit that (to me) seemed to be running rampant on
P2P and websites.  I'm not sure if this is helps, I don't think the actual
package is in the media player file, it's just a method to get unsuspecting
users to download their malware.

I'd be interested in what others have to say on this topic as well.

- Mike