PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: What book for learning hack is good?

From: Josh More <jmore () starmind org>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 10:56:48 -0500

I am going to assume that you wish to compile a list of references so that
you can learn to be a better penetration tester.

It would help to know your goals and budget.  Failing that, I will say that
if your budget is high, I think you'd be best served with the SANS courses:

* 504 - Hacker Techniques, Exploits and Incident Handling (GCIH)
* 542 - Web App Penetration Testing and Ethical Hacking (GWAPT)
* 660 - Advanced Penetration Testing, Exploits, and Ethical Hacking (no
certification as of yet)

They are available in different formats to match different budgets.

If you want to go the book / self-learning route (often for reasons of
budget), I'd suggest going to local bookstore and picking one that seems
most easily readable to you.  From there, you can start doing online hacking
challenges (google for "hacking challenge") and reading the free online
resources like Metasploit Unleashed and the OWASP Testing Guide.

Once you're through that, you'll have a better idea what you need to learn
and how to learn it.

-Josh More

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Mohsen Mostafa Jokar <mohsenjokar () gmail com