PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: recommended VPN provider for "anonymous" IPv4 communication

From: Arnaud <lists () arnaudloos com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:24:21 -0400

*I think perhaps you need to set your expectations a bit lower. Expecting
your VPN tunneled traffic speed to approach non-tunneled traffic is in my
experience unrealistic, especially for a service such as this one that
caters to people tunneling their torrent traffic. You're definitely taking a
performance hit by tunneling your traffic through the same VPS box as lots
of other users of the service. I used 1MBps in my previous message because
that's about the maximum speed I've seen through the service. Sometimes I
only get 300Kbps, it varies based on the time of day. As for the Google
search redirection you're right but it's also normal for Google to redirect
you to the search page of the country in which your endpoint is located.
Forcing the results to only show English sites is something you can
configure in the search engine preferences. I had forgotten this since I use
a Firefox plugin that automatically redirects me to
https://encrypted.google.com and sets my preference to English only.

Sorry you're not happy with my recommendation. If you find something better
please let me know.
*