PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Android App authorizations

From: Todd Haverkos <infosec () haverkos com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 09:08:23 -0500

David3 Gonnella <netevil () hackers it> writes:

Hi guys
I'm going to develop my first serious android app...and my mind goes to the section before installing where you have
to accept authorizations for reading contacts, network access ..and so on.
The question is, can you fool or be fooled by these authorizations ..programmaticaly? ( or any other way is welcome
either..)

I haven't go deep in this research so i'm just asking you..maybe someone already knows something about...

Thanks in advance for helping.

I saw a talk on android security assessment at OWASP Chicago months
ago and asked a question about this.  The speaker who knew far mor
about this than I led me to believe that these permissions come from
the manifest of the app I believe, and sometimes bear little or
resemblance to what the application can/will actually do?

I'd be interested in input from others who've developed for Android to
confirm or deny that, though.  If true, it seems to be a gaping hole
in the secvurity model making it nearly impossible for users to make
decent decisions on apps.

--
Todd Haverkos, LPT MsCompE
http://haverkos.com/