PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: IPS placement

From: Michael Dickey <lonervamp () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 12:16:39 -0500

I would generally say you want an IPS/IDS anywhere you:
- have a transition between two networks of differing security needs (often
next to a firewall or filter)
- have a choked location with traffic that you'd have some security interest
in

From my understanding you have 4 general networks: Internet, DMZ, LAN, and
Servers.
You already have an IPS between the Internet and DMZ.
And a second between the LAN (I assume this is where general workstations
are located) and Servers.

1. I wouldn't recommend doubling up different IPS boxes, one behind the
other. You don't really gain anything except an understanding of what one of
the boxes doesn't catch, especially if you're running more in IPS mode than
IDS mode. And even if you gain that knowledge, you'd just want to use the
best box and forget the other one since it is added administrative cost and
an extra fail point.

2. I'd suggest one that inspects traffic between your:
a. DMZ and the Servers, and placed on the Servers network (or even placed in
DMZ network if you want).
b. Or the LAN and your DMZ, and placed on the DMZ network (less noisy).
c. Or the LAN and their Internet route, placed on the LAN.

That's in decreasing order of how *I* would prefer them.

a. Gives you the ability to catch something coming in from the Internet,
owning a DMZ box, and continuing into the backend servers location. This is
doubly nice because something missed by your first IPS covering the
Internet/DMZ segment might be picked up as it moved further in.
b. The LAN is sometimes a cesspool of users, and prone to physical intrusion
with a rogue laptop. I'd want to know if something from that network is
attempting to scan or traverse into my server areas. Or noisily scan my
networks.
c. I'd want to know if something is making attacks outbound, or just doing
something strange outbound. Since egress firewall sets often suck, I'd maybe
rely on an IDS/IPS to give me some ammunition to tighten the firewall or
give warning.