PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Terms and Conditions for external hosting

From: "Williams, Marn PENC:EX" <Marn.Williams () pensionsbc ca>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 10:27:46 -0700

Chris

We have had similar considerations in our Canadian business, and I can add a couple of recommendations for you. You are
correct in considering vetting supplier and host employees, ISO27001, segregation of data, and encryption in transit
and at rest.

Perhaps this is implied by your ISO27001 requirement, but ensure that the host's backend is secure - backups, disaster
recovery plan, data centre security, AV and IPS, media sanitation policy, specific responsibilities in the event of
data loss or corruption, service level agreements on data availability, who has access to the encryption keys, their
security incident handling process, data ownership and a plan to regain your data if the hosting company fails.

Ensure that you know who actually owns the company hosting the solution. Several US companies have set up their
services here in Canada and their prime selling point is that the servers reside in Canada, too. Safe, right? However,
the U.S. Patriot Act stipulates that U.S. owned or subsidiaries of U.S. owned companies are subject to the Act. If
desired, data can be requested from these companies by the Patriot Act, and they are under no obligation to inform you
that they have complied. Data Protection Act notwithstanding. Keep it in mind if that concerns you.

Many providers of externally hosted solutions provide a web based front end. This is very convenient, but adds risk. If
one of your employees decides to maintain the Health Information on a wireless connection with a laptop in a coffee
shop (for example)- or even at home - then the data may be at risk even if they use an SSL connection. Wireless
exploits are fairly trivial and it is not difficult to acquire a username and password in a situation like that. You
may wish to address this with policy or require that all access into the hosted solution uses, for instance, VPN.

Finally, I recommend your business creates a security policy for using hosted solutions, so you have all your external
hosting guidelines in place for any future considerations - avoid that slippery slope.

Regards
Marn Williams