PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Question regarding home filter using FIOS

From: Ryan Sears <rdsears () mtu edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 14:34:00 -0400

So the thing you need to realize first and foremost is that kids are
going to get around it if they're determined enough. OpenDNS allows you
to filter (and auto-filters a lot of stuff for you) if you just set all
the computers you want to filter's DNS to 208.67.222.222 (or
208.67.220.220), then sign up for the home management stuffs
(http://www.opendns.com/home/).

As for routing issues, it shouldn't be filtering anything from FIOS, and
if it is, I'm sure you can un-block it. Usually having a routing
platform sitting between you and your uplink (IMHO) doesn't give you
much latency at all. I didn't notice a bit of drop with my 24Mb
connection when I put a PFSense box in for IDS & VPN.

If you wanted to get crazy (and you have 2 switches) you could just put
the box in front of everything non-TV, then have it being fed into an
upstream switch with your TV and router, but that's a pain in the butt
and not guaranteed to work (as they usually make you register one MAC only).

Ryan