PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: IT Security Topics for Small Business

From: allison nixon <elsakoo () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 22:44:43 -0500

A troubleshooting guide would be helpful.
that should include
-tools for monitoring network traffic to ensure a compromise has
been remediated(more applicable to server compromises where its hard to
wipe everything).  wireshark/tcpdump
-understanding exploit kits and the typical internet crime that small
businesses run into.  if a small business can get everyone in the habit of
using noscript they can prevent the vast majority of crap.
-handling host infections and abuse complaints(where some attacker is
hijacking your bandwidth and the victims complain to you)

user education is a potential advantage for small businesses, because they
have much fewer numbers to contend with.  Having all due-diligence in a
checklist format would be very friendly for time-limited IT people.

also a section for the targeted attacks and how to recognize a sustained
campaign against you, with the large caveat that this only applies if
you're a very large corporation or have somehow managed to involve yourself
with a nation state or hacker group, or handle data for someone that has.
 the only reason for this section is because 99% of the small business
people I've seen worried about this aren't likely going to be in the
crosshairs, so the paranoia isn't justified.

also a section for mistakes small business often makes.  i see this stuff a
lot, where they think that portscanning is a scary attack, and how you can
block attacker IPs on your firewall(or worse, your IPS).  or how some want
to address every vuln scan individually instead of implementing a proper
patching regimen.  groan.

let us know when it's finished.  i want to send it to certain people.

-a