PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Xing/LinkedIn privacy tips

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:48:53 +0000

On 18 December 2012 19:07, Alex Kornilov <alex.kornilov3 () mail ru> wrote:
I don't like to be on Internet with real name. I don't have a Facebook
account. I don't like when people who know me by sight can google me.
That said, I need a Xing or LinkedIn account, because of business reasons.

Please advise me in privacy and security, before I register an account.

Seems like a contradiction to me, you don't want to publish anything
but you want a LinkedIn account in which I'd expect you to publish
things.

As soon as you publish anything it becomes public knowledge, even if
it is supposedly locked behind some registration or similar system.

So my advice would be, don't put anything out that you don't want to
be completely public.

Something else to remember, things like writing style or specific
phrases can also make you trackable so if you are being really
paranoid watch out what you type. I linked a guy who sent me one
"anonymous" email back to his real identity fairly quickly as the way
he signed off his emails was very distinct.

Robin