PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: how much does data weigh?

From: Hendrik Lüdemann <hen.luedemann () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 17:11:33 +0200

The Question is. Where do these electrons come from? In your power
supply is a transformator, which only transferes energy from one coil
to another, but no electrons. Also you have alternating current coming
out of your socket. In other words the electrons are coming and going,
but overall no electrons are transferred.

So where do these mysterious electrons on the capacitor come from?
I would argue: When the capacitor ich charging, the electrons are
flowing from one side of the capacitor to the other.

But, since Einstein, we know that mass is equivalent to energy.(E=mc^2
where E is energy and m is mass)
When the capacitor is charged, it has energy saved, which also means
that it has a (unbelievably low) mass.
So theoretically it should be heavier.

I'm not entirely sure about the last point but i think the rest sounds
pretty logic.

Hendrik Lüdemann