PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Digital Signature with internal CA

From: Matt Summers <matt () fireantsecurity co uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 18:53:37 +0000

 Mark,

 Can you clarify something? When you say " integrating internal PKI server
with a on-premise software to digitally signing software." what do you
actually mean?

 Knowing quite a lot about PKI but not a lot about signing PDFs I can say
the following.....when signing something, you would typically distribute
the signing certificate with the object you have singed. The actual
verification of the signature and the certificate would be done by the
processing software, in this case the PDF reader. This would not only
validate that the document signature comes from the signing certificate
and that the certificate chain is trusted by either looking in the CAPI
store on Windows or JKS on Java systems but also that the signing
certificate is valid via either CRL or OCSP.

 So in the example I think you are giving you would need to ensure your
root certificate goes in the "Trusted Certificate Store" and that any CRL
or OCSP responder can be reached.

 Cheers,

 Matt

 On Fri 22/03/13 14:50 , "marck e." marck.ernest () gmail com sent:
 Hi there.
 I've been tasked to look for a solution to digitally sign PDF
 documents.This solution would have to validate document signer
 identity with a certificate which would be issued by a Internal CA (we
 think Microsoft Certificate Services would do well).
 Almost every digital signing solution focus on cloud-based PKI
 infrastructure and I find almost no documentation for integrating
 internal PKI server with a on-premise software to digitally signing
 software.
 Can anyone provide insight about this particular scenario?

 Thanks
 M.E

Links:
------