PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: [Security Weekly] ISO 27001

From: Arch Angel <arch3angel () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 21:40:27 -0500

I would like to second Chris's statements about how ISO 27001 is more
than documents, it is a living breathing process.  I would like to
suggest a few additional items as well.

Find yourself a good consultant, please don't go with the cheapest!
Request sample reports, sample statements of applicability, etc. because
I've heard horrible horror stories of these low budget consultants who
lead companies down a path and in the end they have to essentially redo
the entire program years later.  Send me a private email and I will
explain in more details and show you examples of good and bad
consultants.  The key is with this consultant, is to do a GAP and see
where your organization would stand if you went today to become
certified.  Then work with that same consultant to build the program
around the scope.  The scope is the most important part in my opinion,
it defines your program.  A weak scope statement can permit an auditor
privileges to look into things you really don't want them, and on the
otherside it can prevent them from poking around in those same areas.

If you are in the USA, you will be getting certified through BSI
America, I can provide you contacts who will tell you exactly what needs
done from an administrative point of view.  Again send me a private
email for details.

Last but not least, training! If all you want to do is learn to manage
an ISO 27001 program then one of the intro course will be fine.  If you
want to learn how the auditor thinks, and more importantly how they are
to conduct the audit then take the Lead Auditor course.  I learned a ton
about the boundaries of what an auditor can and can't do, and in the
process found that our auditor was reaching into areas they shouldn't
have, but a strong scope can prevent this for you.  It's very useful to
not only understand the program but also the auditor.

Here is the list of courses offered by BSI, I recommend taking their
courses since they are the ones who will come in and certify you:

http://www.bsigroup.com/en-US/ISO-IEC-27001-Information-Security/Training-courses-for-ISO-27001/

Hope this helps, and like I said if you want detailed suggestions as
well as points of contact shoot me over a private email.  I'll give you
all the contacts I have which have been awesome in helping me!

- --

Thank you,

Robert Miller
http://www.armoredpackets.com