Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Decrypting VNC passwords - Tool required

From: Domenico De Vitto <dom () DEVITTO DEMON CO UK>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 22:52:55 +0100

There is an easier was if you can get to the wire...
and the ego in me says I discovered it (for the record).

VNC generates challenges based on a seed taken from 'time()'.
That means two connections with the same second get the same challenge.
If you can man-in-the-middle, you wait for the challenge, steal the reply,
spoof a RST and try logging in with the same reply.

Of course that sorta hinges on someone logging on in les than a second,
(maybe, I've not checked the client code for when it prompts).

So the rule is...."ssh tunnel" over insecure networks (read: always)

Dom