Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[PEN-TEST] Retina

From: m ahern <mc_ahern () YAHOO COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:19:57 -0700

Some good non-commercial web scanners (available for
free on the Net) include "whisker" a PERL based script
by rainforest puppy (which does a good job on UNIX web
servers), and GNIT (which does a good job on IIS/NT
servers).

I like to use at least some of the same tools that the
web defacers out there are using, in addition to
commercial tools. I think sometimes commercial tools
lag, or don't seem to understand the significance of
some vulnerable script, etc..

Hope this helps...

mch

--------------------
Quick question to the group on Scanners.  During
training I took last week there was general consensus
from the instructors that although ISS and Cycercop
are good assessment tools overall, specific to web
servers they are weak compared to scanners that focus
on web servers, like Retina.

Is there general agreement on this point and if so,
are there any recommended commercially supported
favorites besides Retina. Thanks.

Mike Ungar