Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Two cents on Phys-Testing

From: Drew Simonis <care227 () ATTGLOBAL NET>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:28:39 -0400

Mike Ireton wrote:

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, J. Oquendo wrote:

Now just think... I already had a co-worker in co-1's cage when I
worked there so I could've easily opened co-2's cage slipped anything
I wanted out of it, cut their network lines, anything and went to work
in my cage without incident.

        I have exactly this problem right now. We have gear at a certain
co-lo facillity where we have a cabinent and on those occasions when I
have to physically go there for maintinence, I have noted lots of 'trust'
happening that shouldn't.  This facillity employs a card plus palm scan
access system, but most of the time you can just wait by the door for
someone to either come by and enter and then just follow them in, or just
wait for someone to exit and catch the door.

I find that stanfding outside the front door smoking a cig is an
easy way to get access to nearly any site.  Everyone assumes that
you have just "stepped outside for a smoke".  Hell, at a few places
people even take the time to hold the door for you.  Politeness is
indeed a major danger to security, and something to take advantage
of in an overall penetration test.