Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Home-Banking PEN-TESTING

From: Rafael Coninck Teigao <rafael () SAFECORE NET>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:44:02 -0300

I'm not cracking the client machine. I'm asking that if it is possible
someone to crack the client machine and get the password, should the
bank
hold liability for it? I already broke into my own machine for that
purpose, so I know it is vulnerable.

    []'s,
    RCT.

Erik Tayler wrote:

I do not believe the bank even has the right to have you test
personal computers that are housed in a residence. Ask a lawyer to be
certain, but that seems like a large invasion of privacy. I have
previously used home-banking, and I would be furious if my bank hired
people to break into my home network. I think one could consent to
such a service, I am not saying it is un-performable, but it sounds
like a pain to get such permission from everyone subscribing to the
home-banking system. Sniffing someone while they are transferring
sensitive information is just as effective as breaking into their
network/pc. None of what I just said is of any relevance if you are
not referring to the consumers that actually access the bank via
modem or web-interface to view their financial data.

Erik Tayler
14x Network Security
http://www.14x.net

--
And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;