Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Strength of RSA keys -vs- length (was Re: Places to find crypto ...)

From: Dom De Vitto <dom () DEVITTO COM>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 00:28:01 -0000

Hmmm,

[ so trolling later ]

The best document I've found is:
http://www.scramdisk.clara.net/pgpfaq.html#SubRSADH

Which has this table, comparing the keylenghts of equal strength:
Block Cipher  RSA                EC
 80              1024           160
112              2048           224
128              3072           256
192              7680           384
256             15360           512

So it looks like we should all be using 3k keys with our 128-bit CAST/IDEA/whatever...

Hmmm.
Dom