Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Watchguard firebox II

From: Axel Dunkel <ad () Dunkel de>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 18:08:45 +0100

Also, the single example I've seen did some incredibly strange stuff
with the addressing (i.e. the internal interface had the same IP address
as the internal interface of the external router, if I remember
correctly), so don't let that catch you out if that's what you
encounter.

The Watchguard Firebox has two implementation modes, one is the usual
(like a router), the other a "drop-in mode". In this mode, the box acts as a
bridge and thus has the same ip address on all interfaces. So the internal
clients route direktly to the external router, not to the firewalls ip address;
this is why you see the ip address of the external router in the internal
network.

Regards,
Axel Dunkel

---
Systemberatung A. Dunkel GmbH, Gutenbergstr. 5, D-65830 Kriftel
Tel.: +49-6192-9988-0, Fax: +49-6192-9988-99,   E-Mail: ad () Dunkel de