Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Raw Disk Mounter

From: c0ncept <c0ncept () 403-SECURITY ORG>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 08:29:56 -0800

        Hex-workshop by Break Point Software has a feature allowing you to do
this -- I've been using it a lot lately for work on NTFS. It allows you to
view the raw hex/ascii of a volume, has several usefull features including
string searches letting you specify using ASCII, Unicode, or either (*very*
usefull for NTFS), a copy feature that lets you format what you copy onto
the clipboard in a number of formats, inclduing preformated HTML (looks
nice, octets are in alternating colors), RTF, or C -- if you copy a sequence
of hex into c and pase it into a source file, it gives you an array. A demo
is available at http://www.hexworkshop.com/. Sadly, it's only available on
win32.

        Off topic, but related -- does anybody know of an API that allows me to
access the contents of a raw volume? Hex workshop does it, and I've seen a
couple of programs that search for Alternate Data Streams that I assume dump
the MFT using this technique (Or maybe I just don't have appropriate rights
to open $MFT with CreateFile()? Anybody?).

--c0ncept