Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] 2 quick questions

From: Bill Pennington <billp () boarder org>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 15:38:17 -0800

See answers in-line

Leon Rosenstein wrote:

Hi everyone I was curious about two things as far as pen testing goes.

First is I was curious about routers:  If a network has a router (a hardware
one, not a computer running Linux or NT).  Is there anything to be gained
from breaking into the router through one of the remote administration
points?  Is this thus a fruitless exercise or is there something to show the
customer or gain yourself if you are auditing your network's security?

By compromising a router I can gain many things. First it gives me
another point of attack to the internal network, most likely a trusted
one. If their are any packet filters in place I can remove them. I can
sniff traffic going through the router which could lead to password
disclosure among other things. I could wipe it out and you would have a
DOS on your hands.

Second I was curious about social engineering.  Is this considered "fair
play?"  Is it discussed in advance?  If you're allowed to do it how far do
you take it?  Do you take it the point where you do a mass mailing of BO or
Sub 7 to show the owners of the network how vulnerable they are to this flaw
(because isn't social engineering kind of a flaw even though it is a human
one?)  Or do you just stop with tricking them into revealing user names and
passwords?

Generally speaking social engineering is out unless the client
specifically request it. If the client request it then you have to work
out the boundaries. In general as a pen tester I would not mass mail
trojans to all the users. It could be a huge cleanup task and would
expose my clients to unneeded risk during the assessment.

Thanks.

Your welcome! :-)

--

Bill Pennington - CISSP