Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] IE Cookie Crypt-Analysis - Good or Bad

From: Chris Keladis <Chris.Keladis () CMC CWO NET AU>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 22:20:39 -0500

Hi Anthony,

Yes i am very curious to understand this better myself.

More specifically, i am interested in understanding the SITESERVER cookies
(IIS?) sets.

It seems almost all major sites use them, and there have been published
vulnerabilities against them, but i would like to understand if the jargon
in the cookie has some meaning, or is it just a garbled string to
essentially "maintain state" ?

One (insecure) way some sites encrypt their cookies is using base64
encoding of the information, others use XOR, MD5 and other kinds of
encryptions, or "bit-shifts".

You need to firstly look at the encoded cipher, see if you can identify a
common format, if that fails perhaps a brute force of most major formats.
Failing that, a more analytical analysis may be necessary.

Cheers,

Chris.