Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[PEN-TEST] VVIGILANTe Security Scanner

From: "Rietveld, Peter" <priet () CENTENNIUM NL>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 04:03:42 +0100

A related company is evaluating security scanners for PenTesting. They have
had a convincing marketing presentation of Vigilante. From their website
*www.vigilante.com I 've gathered that they have somehow mixed:

  a.. Fyodor nmap v2.53
  b.. ISS Internet Scanner NT v6.1
  c.. Linux traceroute v1.4a5
  d.. NAI CyberCop NT v5.5
  e.. SC Robert 3.0.1
  f.. Slayer icmp v2.1
  g.. VIGILANTe Exploit Arsenal v1.11
  h.. VIGILANTe PortScanner v1.29
  i.. VIGILANTe protocolid v1.26

This product is supposed to catch something like 1000 security bugs, but ah,
how many does ISS find, or cybercop? I consider this to be a more or less
gratuite claim, since it is not a hard claim, but more like something well
it must be something like a thousand.
Well, all this means they run more than one box, or run *Nix stuff on NT, or
vice versa. Anyway, I am just a bit curious. Anyone take a deeper look into
their product? Is it useable?