Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] PIX Firewall Question

From: "Randall, Mark (ISSCalifornia)" <MRandall () ISS NET>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 13:58:21 -0500

The only ports you'd see on a PIX would be those specifically openned by the
admin.  The PIX provides no connectivity "out of the box" and ethernet
interfaces are by default assigned 127.0.0.1, just to be safe.

The PIX runs on its own software.  The latest is 5.2(3), I think...  The PIX
software sports a command set that is very similar to Cisco's IOS.  I don't
know if that compatibility was there from Wheelgroup, or if it is something
Cisco added in after they bought the device.  It looks and acts much like
IOS...but it isn't.