Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] cryptanalysis software

From: Pierre Vandevenne <pierre () datarescue com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 23:13:03 +0100

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000 11:12:58 -0500, Jose Nazario wrote:

last week's discussion on encryption in a pen test got me thinking. do any
of you know of any software that can evaluate a block of data and make a
decent guess as it if the data is potentially encrypted data, and if so
with what algorithms? when compared to purely random bits, that is.

This paper might be of interest

http://csrc.nist.gov/encryption/aes/round1/r1-rand.pdf

I don't think discrimination will be possible with purely random bits.

OTOH, normally, the non encrypted trafic in itself isn't random.
---
Pierre Vandevenne - DataRescue sa/nv
Home of the IDA Pro Disassembler  -  Version 4.15 now available !
http://www.datarescue.com/idabase/ida.htm