Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] War Dialling

From: Michael Gough <MGough () FSCNET COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:57:48 -0700

I would warn you that the PBX list is not the real list you want.  All companies have non PBX or DID lines - straight
analog lines...  All companies using a PBX have locations with needs for a non dial 9, prefix numbers so these are the
ones you should concentrate on getting.  Get the actual phone bills so you can validate the "actual" listing of numbers
you really own.  On our side I found twice as many modems on the analog lines as I found on the PBX lines.  Also most
PBX systems allow you to print the settings so you could just turn the ports off and see who complains and replace or
secure the system that was connected to the port and update the PBX entries and your lists.  Also make it a policy that
all analog lines MUST go through the modem pool (if you have one) and the PBX 2nd choice and prohibit non-controlled
analog lines.

MG

gleibolt () ATT COM 11/16/00 09:37AM >>>
I've found that it is always best to go directly to the PBX switch
administrators to get the range of numbers that are valid.  You can then use
ranges of a data file of valid numbers in tools like ToneLoc or THCscan.

Greg