Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Implications for "Looking around?" [FBI confiscation of allegely curious student]

From: David Ford <david () LINUX COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 10:32:23 -0800

Bill Pennington wrote:

One thing that keeps entering my mind is the confiscation of his CD's that
contained MP3s and porn. The FBI stated that they needed to check it for

They did not confiscate his CDs.

On another note when did web site defacements become a federal crime worth
this much investigation? I was told by an FBI officer that the FBI will not
get involved until the monetary lose goes above 10k. I can't see how a web
site defacement can cost that much. Smells like a publicity grab to me.

Depends on which agent you speak with it seems.  Some react more quickly than
10K, some are still sleeping 100K later.  Web site defacement can arguably be
very expensive.  Don't continue on this line, this is up to the lawyers and
litigation.

Note: I did not see the defacement I only assume that it is like the 900
other defacements that get posted everyday to attrition.org. A simple file
copy and you are back in business. It seems like the FBI could be very busy
if it monitored attrition.org and went after every web site that gets
defaced in the US.

..If every site called up the feds, they would be very busy.  It's no less a
crime because it isn't reported.  It's a crime yes or no, the damages vary.

I feel for the FBI guys I really do. They are between a rock and a hard
place. Then are way outgunned when it comes to technical expertise and
therefore have to trample all over people to get anything done. I think the
readers of this list could probably develop a system that would make the
FBI's job a lot easier (as far as evidence gathering for computers) and make
everyone feel "a little" better after a search, at least they could still
have their computer.

Yes, if the feds had public support and if those in the know took the time to
educate them, then there'd be a lot less heartache.

-d

--
"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was