Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] PC Anywhere protocol

From: Security Related <b_c_w_g () HOTMAIL COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 14:50:34 CDT

ACtually those ports are only for the most current version....and the most
current version will also use the older port numbers for backwards
compatability, if it doesn't get the right answer on those ports...the
symantec site has a very good help docs if you include ports in your search
criteria....I would just put the URL on here but my internet access is toast
right now...

The latest ones will let you use NONE, PCANYWHERE, SYMMETRIC, and PUBLIC-KEY
encryption...I have heard the PCAW encryption is weak, and of course NONE,
is never a good idea...but I'm not a crypto guy...depending on what you need
it for you could always NOT leave it [the host] running all the time...you
need ADMIN access to an NT box to start the (any) PCAW service and could
just start the service when you need it, or schedule it if it is for regular
stuff...

all that done, you can specify NT domain account access to a session...in
the end, PCAW is like any other usefull tool, it can be great or severely
trash you security on a box, depending on how it's used...

email me if you have specific questions...I'm no GURU, but have used the
latest PCAW (V8 & 9) a pretty fair bit...

Egoslayer1