Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Testing of Netscreen firewalls?

From: "Jensen, Greg" <Greg_Jensen () NAI COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 11:59:11 -0700

Robert,

We market the Netscreen product as a cheaper, yet less secure, alternative
to our Gauntlet Firewall/WebShield E-ppliance.  We have had great success
with the product as it is one of the most well-rounded low-end solutions we
have put our hands on.  I would recomend it if money is tight.   There are
cases where you don't need a sledgehammer to put a nail in, so in a case
like that, the Netscreen does fine. In those cases where you have high
liabilities if proprietary information is stolen, or e-biz servers can be
compromised, you really should stick with the higher level boxes such as
Gauntlet/E-ppliance or other "proxy" based firewalls that cut the connection
from the untrusted to the trusted networks.