Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Legalities and Liabilities

From: Bhanu Prasad <B_Prasad () REDSALSA COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 15:26:51 -0400

Another interesting aspect to this is when clients look at legal suits as an
option if their systems are hacked after a security consulting assignment.
This might become an increasing trend in the time to come and will have a
huge impact on the viability of security firms and their insurance costs.
The magnitude of consequential loss suites are simply phenominal...and in
case of e-commerce ventures this is an issue.

The only defence in the court of law would be that reasonable care was
undertaken during the security assignment...but in case of the dynamically
changing security challenges and also the limited possibility of generally
accepted standards, it might be difficult to prove the same.  To add to the
woes, by default an assignment such as penetration testing is supposed to be
innovative and how can one prove in the court of law that it was innovative
and thorough enough?

All consulting firms have liability limitation clauses in their contracts
but we do see instances of clients suing IT companies for failed projects.

Am I being a too imaginative or is there a big issue in what I am talking
about?

Thanks,
Bhanu