Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] eMail auditing problem

From: "Brentlinger, Mike (ISS eServices)" <mbrentli () ISS NET>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:05:52 -0400

There are lots of tools that would grab smtp mail traffic off the network.
As long as someone has access to the network and could see the mail traffic
going by a NIC they had access to they could get the mail, theres no reason
why they have to compromise the mail server.

Check out some of these links for more info

drivers/tools for windows boxes
     http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/winpcap/misc/hot.htm

dsniff-tool to get passwords theres also mention of "mailsnarf" which would
do just what you are talking about
     http://www.monkey.org/~dugsong/dsniff/

winsniff- a tool that would also do what youre talking about.
     http://server36.hypermart.net/winsniff/

Hope that was helpful
-Mike Brentlinger
 ISS Chicago