Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Breaking SSH Listening Ports

From: "Dunker, Noah" <NDunker () FISHNETSECURITY COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 15:02:52 -0500

This method of spoofing was actually pretty common a while back ago...  YES,
on most OS's, you can inject loopback traffic on a PPP or ethernet
interface, and YES, it will usually read the traffic.  This is going to be a
blind spoof, and nothing will get sent back to you.  If you have something
bound to listen only on 127.0.0.1, it may prevent this from working,
depending on how it's using the interface.  if it's actually using the
interface, not the IP address, the traffic might not get to the listening
application.  If it is listening only for something going to that address,
then it will see the traffic no matter what.  This is why I do some fun
firewalling rules with IPCHAINS and IPFilter on my unix-ish machines:

Both of these methods use kernel-level packet filters to accept
localhost-subnet ONLY over the genuine loopback interface.

(FreeBSD)
ipfw add 1 pass ip from 127.0.0.0/8 in via lo0
ipfw add 2 deny ip from 127.0.0.0/8

or Linux 2.2.x, IPChains:
ipchains -A input -p tcp -s 0/0 -d 127.0.0.0/8 -i !lo -j REJECT

I don't have extensive experience with the Windows (9x/nt) TCP/IP stack, so
I don't know what tools out there can do something similar, of if they
exist.

--Noah Dunker