Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[PEN-TEST] /cgi-bin/htimage.exe vulnerability

From: "DonSata (ZekSata)" <zeksata () UNICRAFT COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 18:01:54 -0400

Hi all,
In the same manner I asked about the "Debug command on Sendmail" in a mail a
couple of days ago (by the way... MANY THANKS!! to you all, It really helped
me. =)  ) I would like to take some time from you again, but in this
oportunity refering to the /cgi-bin/htimage.exe vulnerability. This is one
that I also usually find in the wild. I have read about it, and wiped it
from my servers. The deal is this... I have seen that in many sites, this
flaw provides the abillity of executing arbitrary commands on the remote
host by an attacker, but have not seen any code or explanation of how can
this be achieved. It seems that the only information available refers to the
fact that it may return the web server's physical path or produces a buffer
overflow in the afected system.
Does anybody have information about it?

Thanks to you all again!!

DonSata