Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Vulnerabilities within MPLS ??

From: Simon Jenner <Simon_Jenner () ins com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 10:20:56 -0000

MPLS is not only for QoS it provides layer 2 type services in the layer 3
environment (QoS, CoS, Traffic engineered paths etc) . If using Ethernet or
PoS then a label is inserted between layer 2 and layer 3 protocols, if using
ATM then the label is inserted into the ATM header.  The MPLS label is used
to forward the packet to the next hop.  MPLS was not designed as a VPN
protocol, however it does support features that allow VPNs (stacks of
labels).  The VPNs are primarily created by the ability for the PE (Provider
edge or Label Edge router (LER)) being able to run Virtual Routers.  VR's
allow multiple independent routing tables to be held on a single device.
The security is gained by only being able to use a certain routing table.

As you stated vendor implementations are different and therefore have
different security strengths.  I have attempted some simple penetration
tests on a Cisco router running VRs with no luck in breaking it (it was a
simple test though)

At a guess the place to look for weaknesses would probably be BGP as this is
used to carry VPN routes across the network.  BGP uses some extra features
such as new address families and extended communities (see RFC 2547 & RFC
2283).  A spoofed injection of BGP could lead to VPN routes being populated
into the wrong VRs.

Simon